Multimeter use how to test IGBT using Analog Multimeter and Digital MultimeterIGBT TESTING IGBT has 3 legs , namely , Gate , collector and Emitter , Its working principle is input voltage control output current. we can use this basic bias to test whether it is a bad or good IGBT. Important note analog Multimeter use on this article it is a version that black test lead supply V+ and red test lead supply V- , when setting to resistance test function.
|HOW TO TEST IGBT|
|Connection diagram to test IGBT ON / OFF testing.|
|Sample IGBT has Gate Collector and Emitter ( pin No. 1 2 3 respectively )|
Step to test IGBT ON / OFF TESTING
1. Take IGBT part number to find leg function from datasheet.
2. Connect test leads with IGBT leg as photo above.
3. Set analog multimeter to Rx10K as this range it will supply 9VDC from internal battery. 9VDC is high enough to bias gate leg so IGBT is working as ON state.
4. Use resistor's leg to temporarily connect between G leg and C leg ; the pointer's of multimeter move forward to low resistance as shown on photo.
5. After removing resistor leg the pointer 's of multimeter hold
the same position because IGBT is still working as ON state , this is for a good IGBT indication but the bad IGBT can not hold ON state so the multimeter's pointer move backward to ∞ position after removing resistor's leg.